The Philippines was supposed to host the Para Games in January after the SEA Games last December. However, the event was delayed to the end of March, then to May or June, before the decision on cancellation was made.
The Philippine Sports Commission (PSC) withdrew financial support for the event to focus on measures to cope with the pandemic, partly resulting in the cancellation.
PSC President William Ramirez revealed the information during an online meeting, adding that the funding allocated to organise the Para Games will be used to help athletes hurt by COVID-19 instead.
In late April, the Philippine government’s sports agency decided to cancel all sporting events scheduled for this year.
- Vietnam to start countdown to 31st SEA Games in November
- Saola becomes official mascot of 2021 SEA Games and ASEAN Para Games
- Rare mammal named as mascot for 31st SEA Games
- Hanoi to hold SEA Games 31 Countdown Ceremony
- Hà Nội ready for next year’s SEA Games 31
- Hà Nội marks one year until hosting SEA Games
- Hanoi ready for this year’s SEA Games 31 and ASEAN Para Games 11
- Việt Nam to host 40 sports at SEA Games 31
- Online sports nutrition training program ‘Advanced Nutrition – Sports Achievement’