The local solar power producer, IREX energy joint stock company, a member SolarBK Group, has inked a co-operation deal with Jiangsu Luneng Energy Group, Singapore (Luneng) to build a photovoltaic cells and solar modules factory in Viet Nam.
The company confirmed the announcement to Viet Nam News, stating the deal, which was signed in June 2020, will develop the factory with total capacity up to 1 Gigawatts peak (GWp).
It said the deal was a strategic step in approaching the global solar supply chains after 50 years of research and development on renewable energy in Viet Nam.
IREX launched the first made-in-Viet Nam high-tech solar modules manufacturing factory in Ba Ria-Vung Tau in 2018 with total investment of US$17 million and a capacity of 350 Megawatt peak (MWp) per year.
The locally-made solar power cells and modules have been exported to 15 countries in North America, Europe and Asia, and the Vung Tau-based plant expects to increase its capacity to 1 GWp by 2021.
It’s also the first Vietnamese solar module brand to gain efficiency insurance from MunichRe – one of the two largest insurance companies in the world in 2019.
According to IREX, the co-operation deal with Luneng – one of the world’s leading corporations in PV cell technology with a total capacity of 2.5GW – in building the second largest solar power panel and module factory, would help the made-in-Viet Nam solar power facilities explore the worldwide ‘green’ energy industry market.
Currently, IREX has provided rooftop solar PV arrays with more than 30MWp, distributed in the domestic market
Recently, IREX was honoured in the top-ten list of the 2019 ‘Sustainable Energy’ Award by the Ministry of Industry and Trade. It has been developing solar-powered water heaters, wind power turbines, solar power-driven sea water filter systems and renewable use solutions.
Earlier this year, SolarBK Group and DeBruce from the US agreed technology-transfer negotiations on SkyStream wind power production in Viet Nam. — VNS
- Rooftop solar power, an idea whose time has come in Vietnam
- Phu Yen JSC wins $186-million loan from ADB to build solar power plant
- Dong Nai working to develop rooftop solar power
- World’s largest solar energy group eye investment in renewable energy in Vietnam
- ADB backs $186 mln solar power plant in central Vietnam
- Solar power boom poses a distribution challenge
- Solar power production triples
- LEGO Group to build new factory in Vietnam
- Record number of solar power plants put into operation in Q2