Vietnam to resume international flights from August. Photo for illustration.
According to the proposal which was sent to the prime minister on July 14, six flight routes will be reopened to locations such as Guangzhou in China, Seoul, Tokyo, Taiwan, Vientiane, and Phnom Penh. There will be one flight per week on each route.
In line with these plans, each week would see around 3,000 passengers enter the country, excluding some 1,500 stranded Vietnamese citizens and foreign experts who are returning on repatriation flights.
The ministry, however, pointed out several challenges facing local airlines when carrying out this plan. Airlines could face shortages of flight crew members as they could be quarantined after each flight in accordance with the current regulations. The on-going runway repairs at Noi Bai and Tan Son Nhat airports are also a problem.
Meanwhile, the Ministry of Health has yet to issue instructions on quarantine and health monitoring for passengers on such flights. Airlines will need these regulations to work with authorities of the foreign countries before their citizens enter Vietnam.
In addition, the Ministry of Transport has proposed opening up a few initial routes, including Guangzhou-Da Nang, Tokyo-Hanoi, Seoul-Hanoi, Taiwan-Ho Chi Minh City, Vientiane-Quang Ninh, and Phnom Penh-Can Tho.
The Civil Aviation Authority of Vietnam has requested that during the initial stage local airlines would operate one flight per week per foreign destination.
- International flights could resume in early August
- Ministry proposes reopening international flights in August
- Vietnam to soon resume flights to China, Cambodia, Laos and Taiwan
- Vietnam Airlines to reopen international air routes starting from July 1
- Vietnam’s transport ministry proposes resumption of 6 international air routes
- Here’s the list of first six countries for resuming international flight connection from Vietnam
- Certain international air routes may reopen on September 15
- Vietnam transport ministry to issue licenses for airlines operating international flights
- Lao Airlines to resume flights on Vientiane-Hanoi route