Ambassador Pham Trung Kien (first from left) attends a regular meeting of the IAEA Board of Governors in Vienna, Austria, on Nov. 24. (Photo: VNA)
NDO/VNA – Vietnamese Ambassador Nguyen Trung Kien highly valued the cooperation between the country and the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) in developing and applying nuclear technology for peaceful purposes.
He made the assessment at a regular session of the IAEA Board of Governors that kicked off in Vienna capital, Austria, on November 24.
Addressing the discussion on the agency’s technical cooperation (TC) programme, Ambassador Kien noted the IAEA has assisted Vietnam to successfully carry out cooperation projects under the TC programme in 2020 and 2021, as well as nuclear technology transfer activities.
He thanked the IAEA for standing side by side with Vietnam in COVID-19 response, stressing the agency’s provision of equipment, biologicals, and training in nuclear technology application to RT-PCR tests, helping the country diagnose and detect the coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 early and contain the pandemic.
The diplomat also welcomed the IAEA’s proposal of five cooperation projects with Vietnam within the TC framework, focusing on pandemic response, cancer treatment, sustainable agricultural development, and nuclear incident safety, security, and response, in the 2022 - 2023 period.
Vietnam pledges to actively coordinate with the IAEA during the implementation of these projects, Kien underlined.
During the three-day meeting, the IAEA Board of Governors is set to discuss the TC prorgamme for 2022 - 2023, the Iran nuclear issue, and the board’s work programme for the time ahead.
The event, held both in person and via videoconference, was attended by IAEA Director General Rafael Grossi, 35 members of the board, and representatives of IAEA member states.
Vietnam attended the session as a member of the IAEA Board of Governors in 2021 - 2023.
- Vietnam becomes member of IAEA Board of Governors
- Vietnam attends IAEA Board of Governors teleconference
- Vietnam hopes IAEA continues pandemic response support
- Vietnam, Austria look to beef up friendly relations
- Top Vietnamese legislator meets with IAEA leader
- IAEA-Iran agreement raises hopes for fresh nuclear talks with US
- Vietnam Austria Boost Cooperation Towards 50 Years of Diplomacy
- US, Russia start nuclear talks
- Vietnam reiterates consistent support for 2015 Iran nuclear deal
- Vietnam Slovenia Boost Economic Cooperation COVID 19 Response