Delegates at the seminar (Photo: NDO/Ha Linh)
NDO - The Earthquake information and Tsunami warning - Institute of Geophysics (IGP) under the Vietnam Academy of Science and Technology held a seminar entitled ‘Popularising knowledge about earthquakes and improving the earthquake preparedness of the community’ in Hanoi on November 23.
Speaking at the event, IGP Director General Dr. Nguyen Xuan Anh said that earthquakes are a type of natural disaster that does not occur as commonly as storms and floods; however, they have caused tremendous losses, claiming many lives and causing great damage to property.
According to statistics, more than 400 earthquakes with magnitude of 2.5 and higher and many smaller magnitude earthquakes have been recorded in Vietnam’s territories, with the most earthquake prone areas including the northwest, northcentral and north-eastern areas.
He stressed the importance of raising public awareness on earthquake safety and equipping them with earthquake response skills as well as measures for reducing the consequences of earthquakes.
- Huge quake of magnitude 8.2 on Alaska Peninsula triggers tsunami alert
- Vietnam offers US$100,000 in aid to help China overcome consequences of natural disasters
- 19 dead after huge 7.0-magnitude tremor collapses buildings in Turkey, Greece
- 19 dead after huge 7 0 magnitude tremor collapses buildings in Turkey Greece
- Earthquakes caused central Vietnam hydropower plant leakage: investor
- CUHK Business School Research Looks at How Earthquake Experiences Affected People's Spending Habits in China
- 5.9 magnitude quake strikes off Indonesia's Sumatra: USGS
- Argentina quake of magnitude 6.8 shakes homes, buildings; no injuries reported
- Powerful quake strikes southern Mexico, tsunami warning issued