The wind power projects in Quang Tri Province which the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) jointly provided funding started commercial operation (COD) ahead of October 31, 2021.
According to the announcement* by the Vietnam Electricity (EVN) on November 3, 2021, 69 wind power plants (out of 106 plants) with a total capacity of 3,298.95 MW including three on-shore wind power projects in Quang Tri (Lien Lap, Phong Huy, Phong Nguyen) with a total capacity of 144MW, invested by Power Construction Joint Stock Company No. I of Vietnam and RENOVA Inc. of Japan, have been officially recognized for commercial operation (COD) since October 2021, and are eligible for the FiT (Feed-in Tariff) according to the regulations of the Government of Vietnam.
JICA signed a facility agreement on May 21, 2021 to provide up to US$25 million for the construction of these projects together with other co-sponsors namely the Asian Development Bank (ADB) and the Australian Export Finance (EFA).
This project is JICA’s first funding for wind power generation in Vietnam, and is expected to serve as a model case for private sector wind power generation projects in the renewable energy sector in Vietnam, including those by Japanese and local companies.
JICA will continue to work with the private sector and international financial institutions to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and support Vietnam to achieve the updated Nationally Determined Contribution (NDC) targets of greenhouse gas (GHG) emission control which is highlighted by the Vietnamese leader during the on-going COP 26.
- JICA s first project finace loan for wind power project in Vietnam
- Vietnam to stop licensing of wind power plants
- Extend feed in tariff incentive for wind power: ministry
- Record number of solar power plants put into operation in Q2
- Construction begins on three wind power projects in Soc Trang
- IFC provides funding for two wind power projects in Vietnam
- Construction of wind power plant’s second phase begins in Bac Lieu
- Vietnam adds an additional 963 megawatts of wind power
- Thai firm acquires 2 onshore wind farm projects in Vietnam