Vietnamese Deputy Defence Minister Hoang Xuan Chien at the virtual dialogue (Photo: QDND)
NDO/VNA - Vietnam and Singapore sought ways to strengthen their defence ties at the 12th defence policy dialogue held in the form of videoconference on October 12.
The event was co-chaired by Vietnamese Deputy Minister of National Defence Sen. Lieut. Gen. Hoang Xuan Chien, and Singapore’s Permanent Secretary for Defence Chan Heng Kee.
Chien thanked the Singaporean Ministry of National Defence for its support for military and defence activities and conferences within ASEAN 2020 when Vietnam served as ASEAN Chair.
For his part, Chan congratulated Vietnam on its successful assumption of the ASEAN Chairmanship last year.
The two sides shared the view that despite complex developments of COVID-19, the bilateral defence ties have been implemented in a flexible manner and reaped marked achievements.
Vietnam and Singapore have maintained the operation of the Joint Working Group on Defence Cooperation and the defence policy dialogue, and personnel training, while closely coordinating in multilateral mechanisms and events.
They agreed to continue cooperation in delegation exchange, personnel training, mutual consultancy and support at ASEAN military-defence activities, and maintain ASEAN’s stance on regional and international security issues.
Chien suggested the Singaporean defence ministry help its Vietnamese counterpart with COVID-19 vaccines, treatment drugs and other medical supplies to serve the pandemic combat.
The two sides also looked into regional and international security matters and other issues of shared concern, including the East Sea/South China Sea issue, and pledged to make more efforts to contribute to promoting ASEAN’s centrality in the regional security architecture, and boosting dialogues and cooperation for peace and stability in the region and the world at large.
- Vietnam, ROK agree to boost defence ties
- Deputy Defence Minister meets Philippine new defence attaché
- Vietnam assists Lao Defence Ministry with medical supplies
- ASEAN’S defence-security collaboration to be prioritised
- Vietnam, Cambodia enhance effectiveness of defence cooperation mechanism
- Vietnam places high priority on defence and security co-operation
- Vietnamese, Cambodian defence ministers hold online talks
- ASEAN Defence Senior Officials’ Meeting Plus Working Group held video conference
- Vietnamese, US defence officials hold phone talks