Ambassador Dang Dinh Quy, Permanent Representative of Vietnam to the UN. (Photo: VNA)
NDO/VNA – Vietnam is committed to, together with other countries, promoting international peace and security and addressing regional issues, Ambassador Dang Dinh Quy, Permanent Representative of Vietnam to the UN, has said.
Quy made the statement during the general debate of the First Committee of the UN General Assembly’s 76th Session on October 11. The First Committee deals with disarmament and international security matters.
He said Vietnam consistently pursues a policy of non-proliferation and disarmament of weapons of mass destruction to prevent the spread of and putting an end to these weapons. The country is enforcing relevant treaties in line with international law in a balanced and non-discriminatory manner, he emphasised, adding that it is important to respect other countries’ legitimate rights in defence and security.
Post-war unexploded ordnances remain a threat to civilians, peacekeeping operations and socio-economic development in more than 60 countries, including Vietnam, he noted.
As the rotating President of the UN Security Council in April 2021, Vietnam pushed for the adoption of the Presidential Statement S/PRST/2021/08 on mine action, which calls on all UN member states and related agencies to continue providing support for affected countries.
The Vietnamese diplomat also said that information and communications technology (ICT) greatly benefits socio-economic growth but all states must cooperate to develop a set of standards for responsible behaviours to tackle common challenges in accordance with international law.
The First Committee’s meeting will convene until early November, during which multiple resolutions regarding disarmament and international security are expected to be adopted.
- Vietnam chairs UNSC meeting on chemical weapons in Syria
- Illegal trade of small guns, light weapons affects international peace, security: Vietnamese ambassador
- Vietnam will try its best to fulfill its mission: Ambassador
- Vietnam calls on parties in Yemen to accept UN-led peace proposal
- Vietnam reiterates consistent support for 2015 Iran nuclear deal
- Vietnam affirms stance on condemning use of chemical weapons
- Vietnam calls for closer UN-EU cooperation in settling global challenges
- Vietnam urges respect for, full implementation of Chemical Weapons Convention
- Vietnam chairs meeting of UNSC Committee on South Sudan