Vietnam’s push to enhance competitiveness, reduce its carbon footprint, and improve lives and livelihoods has been given a boost with the approval of an AUD 5 million grant by the Australian Government.
This grant represents additional funding to the ongoing Australia – Bank Partnership in Vietnam (ABP), which focuses on a wide range of policy areas designed to support the country’s development agenda.
“The COVID-19 pandemic continues to have a significant impact on Vietnam’s reform agenda and exacerbate inequalities, which are more pronounced and harder to close for ethnic minorities, for women and for other marginalized groups. Responding to this, Australia’s extended collaboration with the World Bank will continue to support Vietnam’s quick economic recovery and help achieve its development goals,” said Australia’s Ambassador to Vietnam HE Robyn Mudie.
The ABP will continue its work on gender equality and the sustainable development of the Mekong Delta. In addition, it will also help address new priorities set out in the country’s recently adopted Socio-Economic Development Strategy and Socio-Economic Development Plan, including the transition to a low carbon economy, social equity and inclusion, and innovation-driven growth.
“The ABP will continue providing high-quality advisory work, enabling Vietnamese policymakers to pursue substantive reforms,” said Carolyn Turk, World Bank Country Director for Vietnam. “These reforms are needed both for recovery from the economic costs of COVID, but also to set a solid basis for the pathway to higher income status.”
The ABP was established in 2017 with an initial funding amount of AUD 25 million. During the COVID-19 pandemic, the ABP responded quickly and provided an additional AUD 5 million to support Vietnam to respond to, and recover from, the pandemic. The program leverages expertise from Australia and the World Bank Group to support the Government of Vietnam in strengthening its development policies and programs.
- WB, Australia to support Vietnam in mitigating COVID-19 impacts
- World Bank, Australia to support Vietnam mitigate COVID-19 impacts and facilitate economic recovery
- WB, Australia to support Vietnam in mitigating COVID-19 impact
- Australia, World Bank provide financial support to Vietnam amid Covid-19 impacts
- World Bank and the Australia support Vietnam US$3.4 million in the Covid-19 fight
- Australia Delivers An Additional 300,000 COVID-19 Vaccines And Increases Support to 5.2 Million Doses
- Australia to provide AUD100000 in humanitarian support for Vietnam
- Vietnam receives 300,000 AstraZeneca vaccine doses from Australia
- First Shipment Of Vaccine Doses From Australia Arrive In Vietnam