President Nguyen Xuan Phuc speaks at the meeting. (Photo: VNA)
NDO/VNA – Businesses in Ho Chi Minh City have called for support policies to help them revive operations after disruption due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
They made the proposal at a meeting with President Nguyen Xuan Phuc and a delegation of the city’s National Assembly deputies on October 2.
Ly Kim Chi, Chairwoman of the Food and Foodstuff Association of Ho Chi Minh City, said the Government and the National Steering Committee for COVID-19 Prevention and Control should quickly issue temporary guidance on flexible adaptation to COVID-19.
Enterprises should be allowed to draw up their own production plans in line with COVID-19 prevention and control regulations, and take responsibility for the implementation.
Competent agencies would supervise pandemic prevention and control at the firms and strictly handle violations, she said, adding that businesses can be forced to close when necessary.
Chi also proposed the Government prioritise vaccinations to employees engaging in supply chains in southern localities that are closely associated with Ho Chi Minh City’s economy, especially in food and other necessities.
Other voters raised opinions regarding the shortage of workforce in the southern economic centre, accommodations for workers and financial policies in support of businesses.
Speaking at the meeting, President Phuc asked NA deputies to urge competent agencies to clear up enterprises’ concern in different spheres like finance, banking, workforce, and trade and investment promotion.
The Party and State will soon issue specific financial and monetary policies to aid businesses in the tough period, the leader pledged, expressing his belief that Ho Chi Minh City’s economy will recover soon.
Unofficial statistics show that as of August 2021, up to 24,000 enterprises in the city had dissolved, up 6.6% against the same period last year.
Nearly 30% of labourers have been rendered jobless, mostly in leather-footwear (62%), garment-textile (42.6%), lodging services (37%) and catering services (38%).
- State President Nguyen Xuan Phuc meets voters in Ho Chi Minh City
- President Nguyen Xuan Phuc meets voters in Ho Chi Minh City
- NA deputies donate to COVID-19 prevention and control fund
- Businesses need more Gov’t support to recover after pandemic
- Prime Minister becomes head of national steering committee for COVID-19 prevention
- PM assigned as Head of National Steering Committee for COVID-19 Prevention and Control
- NA to hold secret ballot to relieve PM Phuc from duty
- State President backs HCMC’s proposal for higher budget retention rate
- State leader encourages frontline forces, residents of Hanoi in COVID-19 fight