Vietnam has approved Cuba’s Abdala vaccine for use against the coronavirus, the government said on Saturday, as the Southeast Asian country battles its worst outbreak of the pandemic.
Abdala becomes the eighth Covid-19 vaccine approved for use in Vietnam, which has one of the lowest vaccination rates in the region, with only 6.3% of its 98 million people having received at least two shots.
Related: Reopen: Over 90% of HCMC’s over 18 residents get first doses of vaccine
The announcement came hours after President Nguyen Xuan Phuc left Hanoi for an official visit to Havana.
Vietnam has recorded 667,650 coronavirus infections and 16,637 deaths — the vast majority of which were part of the Delta-driven outbreak which began in late April.
“The Ministry of Health has approved (the) Abdala vaccine, based on the country’s urgent need for its Covid-19 fight,” the government said in a statement.
The ministry last month said Cuba would supply large quantities of Abdala to Vietnam and transfer the production technology by the end of the year.
Also read: Covid-19 Deaths in Vietnam’s HCMC Fall to Lowest Point in 40 days
Vietnam and Cuba are among the last five Communist-ruled countries in the world, along with China, Laos and North Korea.
In July, Vietnam urged the United States to end its “hostile policy” toward Cuba and lift its longstanding trade embargo after rare anti-government protests on the island.
- New coronavirus variants in Cuba linked to severe cases, deaths
- Johnson & Johnson Covid-19 vaccine approved in Vietnam
- Vietnam approves to use the Hayat Vax Covid-19 vaccine
- Why Vietnam has one of the lowest Covid-19 vaccination rates in the region?
- Vietnam just received another 811,200 COVID-19 vaccine doses, how to get vaccinated?
- Japan’s government preparing to provide COVID-19 vaccine to Vietnam as local infections recorded in 39 cities
- Reopen: Over 90% of HCMC’s over 18 residents get first doses of vaccine
- Russia approves 2nd coronavirus vaccine
- Why Vietnam’s COVID-19 vaccination drive has been too slow in many areas?
- Breaking: First Death Linked to Pfizer Coronavirus Vaccine Reported