The aircraft carries 6.2 tonnes of medical supplies donated by Vietnamese people in the US.
NDO - A flight operated by national flag carrier Vietnam Airlines carrying 277 Vietnamese people and 6.2 tonnes of medical supplies donated by Vietnamese people in the US arrived at Noi Bai International Airport on the morning of August 25.
This is the first time a flight operated by a Vietnamese airline has been licensed to transport goods between the two countries.
This is also the second direct flight between Vietnam and the US in 2021 to bring Vietnamese people home after Vietnam Airlines was approved by the US to operate 12 flights to repatriate Vietnamese citizens home.
The special shipment, with nearly 400 packages includes 250 ventilators, 9,000 COVID-19 rapid test kits, 600 sets of medical protective clothing, 2,500 anti-droplet masks and 60,000 medical masks, has a total estimated value of US$1 million.
The goods are donations from the Vietnamese community in the US in response to the call of the Consulate General of Vietnam in San Francisco to support COVID-19 pandemic prevention and control in the homeland.
Vietnam Airlines actively coordinated with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the State Committee on Overseas Vietnamese Affairs, the US Embassy in Vietnam, the Consulate General of Vietnam in San Francisco and US authorities to get the approval and complete necessary procedures for the shipment the medical supplies.
The Ministry of Health received the medical supplies and will immediately allocate them to domestic medical facilities.
- Vietnamese citizens to be repatriated through schedule of 54 flights
- Vietnam Airlines brings home close to 350 Vietnamese citizens from Australia
- The flag carrier of Vietnam flies its first Africa flight from Angola
- Medical supplies donated to Can Tho for battle against COVID-19
- Switzerland sends 13 tons of medical supplies to Vietnam
- Haul of medical supplies donated to OVs in RoK to fight COVID-19 pandemic
- More than 300 Vietnamese citizens repatriated from Taiwan (China)
- Vietnam Airlines gets nod to operate flights to Canada
- VietJet Air will conduct four more flights for stranded travellers in Danang