Vietnam capital city of Hanoi will extend its social distancing order until September 6 as the novel coronavirus threat persists, local authorities have said.
The capital has gone nearly a month under a citywide social distancing order starting July 24, the longest such period since the novel coronavirus first appeared in the country, VNExpress reported.
Related: Vietnam’s daily Covid-19 tally reached a new high as military oversees food provision in HCMC
The ongoing restrictions will continue apply: people should stay at home and only go out for basic necessities like buying food or medicines or for working at factories or businesses that are allowed to open.
Tran Dac Phu, former head of the General Department of Preventive Medicine, said it was already a success that Hanoi has prevented the coronavirus from spiralling out of control.
The capital city has already succeeded in containing outbreaks and cutting transmission chains, he said.
Also read: Vietnam’s HCMC bans citizens from going out for whatever reason
Hanoi is ramping up mass Covid-19 testing to isolate cases from the community. It is also establishing “safe zones” where neighborhoods can manage who goes in and out.
The capital has recorded 2,644 local Covid-19 cases since the fourth coronavirus wave hit the country late April, according to VNExpress.
After successfully containing the virus for much of the pandemic, Vietnam is facing a rapid spread of infections that has led to movement restrictions in around one-third of the country.
The Southeast Asian country reported more than 10,000 new infections today, with most of the confirmed cases detected in the south, especially Ho Chi Minh City where social distancing measures have been enforced since May 31.
- Hanoi Extends Social Distancing for Another Two Weeks
- Hanoi extends social distancing for another two weeks as PM orders stronger measures
- HCMC extends social distancing by one month
- Ho Chi Minh City will extend social distancing measures until september 15
- HCMC extends social distancing as Covid-19 continues spreading
- HCMC set to extend social distancing
- Social distancing in HCMC extended for two more weeks
- Vietnam’s capital city reimposes social distancing rules after Covid-19 cases rise
- HCMC and all southern cities extend social distancing for another 14 days to contain the virus