The 15th National Assembly passed a resolution on adjustments to the State budget expenditure estimate and approval of the 2019 State budget balance on July 28 as part of the first session in the 15th tenure.
An overview of the NA first plenary session (Photo: VNA)
Under the resolution, the regular spending estimate for 2019 was reduced by over VND2.24 trillion and the same amount was added to the Finance Ministry’s development spending estimate in 2019.
Total State budget collection in 2019 was VND2.139 quadrillion, while spending was VND2.119 quadrillion, including expenditure left from 2019.
As a result, State budget overspending in 2019 was VND161.49 trillion.
The NA requested the Government to make public the State budget balance in 2019, while directing ministries, central agencies and People’s Committees at all levels to strengthen financial discipline, improve the efficiency of State budget management and use, and fight corruption and wastefulness.
Earlier at a discussion on relevant reports on State budget estimate, collection, spending and balance in 2019, some deputies held that the structure of State budget expenditure in 2019 remained unreasonable with high ratio of regular spending. Many important expenditures were not disbursed as scheduled, including spending on science-technology and environment issues.
According to NA Standing Committee, in 2019, spending on development investment accounted for 27.6% of the total State budget expenditure, which basically complete the goal in the 2016-2020 period.
However, regular spending remained high at 65.2% of the total State budget expenditure, which was higher than the target of 64%.
The committee asked the Government to roll out comprehensive measures to tighten the control over spending, cut regular spending and increase resources for development investment, thus completing the target for the whole 2016-2020 period.
- Vietnam’s State budget collection reaches 98%, budget spending of 80% of yearly estimate
- State budget collection tops over VND975 trillion in nine months
- The fourth consecutive year the State revenue surpassed the estimate
- State budget collection tops over 975 trillion VND in nine months
- First quarter revenue rose by 13.2%
- Struggling to balance State budget
- Vietnam finance ministry strive to improve budget transparency
- Ten-month state budget collection meets over 90% of estimate
- Finance Minister clarifies socio-economic, budget issues