The Vietnam’s Immigration Department has issued updated regulations on extension of temporary residence for foreigners in Vietnam, who are unable to exit Vietnam to return home due to the outbreak of COVID-19.
Overstaying a Vietnam visa will cause foreign visitors not only to incur administrative penalties but also to leave a negative mark in their records of the Vietnam Immigration Department, which make next return to Vietnam of foreigners become more difficult.
Currently, Covid-19 pandemic has pushed the world into paralysis, entry and exit in countries, therefore, is no longer as easy as before. In results, a series of foreigners whose visas have been expired, cannot go through exit or extension procedures. In this situation, this will surely be good news for the foreigners affected by the Covid-19 epidemic.
Here’s what you should be aware of latest announcement from Vietnam’s Immigration Department dated 2/7/2021 about automatic extension of temporary residence for foreigners affected by the Covid-19 epidemic, which you may need to know:
1. In case of entry under the visa exemption category, entry with an electronic visa or a tourist visa from March 1, 2020 to present: Foreigners will be “automatically extended temporary residence” until the end of July 31, 2021. During the above period, foreigners can leave Vietnam without having to carry out procedures for extension of temporary residence.
2. In case of entry before March 1, 2020: If it is proved to be trapped due to the Covid-19 epidemic, certified by the diplomatic mission by a Note (with Vietnamese translation) or a written confirmation from the Vietnamese competent authority about being isolated. , treatment of Covid-19 or other force majeure causes… are also considered for “automatic extension of temporary residence” until the end of July 31, 2021.
When exiting the country, foreigners must present the above Diplomatic notes or written confirmation.
(1) Temporary residence declaration and (2) Medical declaration are two important things, which every foreign citizen in Vietnam need to do during the automatic extension of temporary residence.
By VU Thanh Minh and NGUYEN Thi Diep @ lntpartners.com
If any questions you may have about the procedure to apply for the above documents, please contact the authors: Ms. VU Thanh Minh (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Ms. NGUYEN Thi Diep (email@example.com).
- Vietnam provides another automatic extension of temporary stay for foreigners until August 31
- Automatic extention of Vietnam visa until June 30
- Government Decree on entry and exit of foreigners into Vietnam
- Vietnam grants automatic visa extension for foreigners until July 31 free of charge
- Government issues Decree guiding implementation of new law on foreigners’ entry
- Foreigners in Thailand can apply for visa extensions after July 31st
- New immigration law looks to attract investment
- Free stay permit waivers extended until September 30
- What documents must be prepared for domestic flights as foreigners?