National Assembly Chairman Vuong Dinh Hue (R) meets Philippine Ambassador Meynardo Los Banos Montealegre (Photo: NDO/Duy Linh)
NDO/VNA – National Assembly (NA) Chairman Vuong Dinh Hue received Philippine Ambassador Meynardo Los Banos Montealegre in Hanoi on July 14.
At the reception, the top legislator asked the ambassador, during his term of office, to coordinate in promoting the implementation of cooperation focuses between the National Assembly of Vietnam and the Philippine Senate and House of Representatives, towards considering signing a cooperation agreement between the two parliaments.
First of all, the two sides should well implement the Action Plan for the 2019-2024 period, he said, stressing that the two countries need to strengthen dialogue and consultation as well as support each other's views on the East Sea/South China Sea issue in accordance with the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN)'s agreed principles.
Vietnam and the Philippines should fully and effectively implement the Declaration on the Conduct of Parties in the East Sea (DOC) and closely coordinate in negotiations for a Code of Conduct (COC) in the waters on the basis of respect for international law, especially the 1982 United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS 1982), he noted.
For his part, the Philippine ambassador said that the two countries need to find solutions to promote bilateral trade relations and soon sign a memorandum of understanding on trade cooperation.
Vietnam is a major trade partner of the Philippines, he said, thanking Vietnam for committing regular and stable rice supply to the Philippines, making an important contribution to ensuring the country’s food security.
Regarding maritime security and safety in the East Sea, the Philippine diplomat applauded Vietnam for always complying with international law, especially the UNCLOS 1982 and the processes ASEAN is promoting such as the DOC and the COC.
- Newly appointed Ambassadors of the Republic of the Philippines to pay a courtesy visit to the VUFO President
- Top legislator asks for EU's support in accessing COVID-19 vaccines
- Vietnam Philippines Celebrates 45th Anniversary Of Diplomatic Ties
- NA Chairman meets with voters in Hai Phong
- Vietnam hopes to receive Covid 19 vaccine technology from Japan
- Philippine President confident ASEAN will overcome COVID-19
- Top legislator congratulates journalists on Revolutionary Press Day
- NA Chairman visits Military Medical University
- Vietnam places consistency in giving the top priority to its relations with Laos
- Newly elected National Assembly Chairman holds phone talks with Lao counterpart