Officials say 90,000 doses of Pfizer vaccine directly purchased by the Vietnam government will be flown into the country on Wednesday.
Pfizer vaccine would be stored in a special facility developed by the government as the vaccine need to be kept at -70°C.
The country is negotiating for an additional 45 million doses, aiming to secure 150 million vaccine doses this year to cover 70 percent of the population
The Ministry of Health said Monday that the first batch of more than 90,000 Pfizer Covid-19 vaccines will reach Hanoi’s Noi Bai International Airport Wednesday morning.
The ministry also said that it expects three million doses of Covid-19 vaccines developed by American firm Pfizer and Germany BioNTech Inc. to be delivered in the third quarter and 27-28 million doses in the fourth quarter. The purchase of these vaccines is being funded by the state budget.
In May, the ministry had negotiated and signed a contract with Pfizer to purchase 31 million doses. On June 12, the ministry approved the vaccine for emergency use.
This is the fourth Covid-19 vaccine to be urgently approved by Vietnam, after AstraZeneca (U.K.), Sputnik V (Russia) and Sinopharm (China).
The ministry said that about eight million doses of Covid-19 vaccine have reached Vietnam, mostly through the Covax, a global mechanism for developing, manufacturing and procuring Covid-19 vaccine candidates and help member countries access vaccines as they become available. Vietnam has garnered commitments for the supply of 105 million doses from different sources.
The country is negotiating for an additional 45 million doses, aiming to secure 150 million vaccine doses this year to cover 70 percent of the population. It is projected the majority of Covid-19 vaccine shipments will arrive in September and October.
Vietnam has been using the AstraZeneca vaccine for its inoculation program thus far. Over 3.6 million people have been vaccinated to date, of which more than 204,000 have received two shots, according to VNExpress.
By Le Nga
- Vietnam will get 31 Million Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine doses this year
- 31 million doses of Pfizer vaccine to arrive in Vietnam in Q3, 4
- Vietnam to have over 120 million COVID-19 vaccine doses in 2021
- Viet Nam to purchase 31 million Pfizer vaccine doses
- Vietnam gets 288,000 more AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccine doses
- U.S. helps Vietnam identify counterfeit Covid-19 vaccines
- Vietnam to receive additional 6 million Covid-19 vaccine doses
- Vietnam received another 288,000 doses of AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccines yesterday
- Brazil buys 100 million more doses of Pfizer's COVID-19 vaccine