Prime Minister Pham Minh Chinh visits the Company for Vaccine and Biological Production No.1. He requested that local Covid-19 vaccines be made available by June 2022 - PHOTO: VNA
HCMC - Prime Minister Pham Minh Chinh has told domestic drugmakers to do whatever it takes to make Covid-19 vaccines available by June 2022 at the latest.
During a visit to the Company for Vaccine and Biological Production No.1 (Vabiotech) under the National Institute of Hygiene and Epidemiology, PM Chinh reiterated the need to have a vaccination strategy that steps up Covid-19 vaccine imports and local production.
A successful vaccination strategy is extremely important as it is the most effective solution to curb the pandemic and get the country back to normal, the local media reported.
However, vaccine supplies may fall short until September and vaccine production technology transfers cannot be done overnight.
Vietnam can produce Covid-19 vaccines early as it has been able to produce vaccines for many other diseases.
The Government assigned the Ministry of Health and the relevant agencies to have plans on Covid-19 vaccine production technology transfer and domestic production.
The Government leader also agreed to partially fund vaccine development projects.
Minister of Health Nguyen Thanh Long said some local drugmakers had prepared production facilities. A large-scale Covid-19 vaccine plant is expected to be put into operation at the end of this year, or early next year at the latest.
The ministry has urged Vabiotech to have Sputnik V vaccine production technology transferred from Russia in two phases. In the first phase, Vabiotech will import the vaccine and start packaging it from June.
In the second phase, a plant will be built to increase the packaging capacity to 100-150 million doses per year. Moreover, Vietnam will continue working with the Russian side to receive production technology and build a production plant.
- Nanogen seeks approval for emergency use of Vietnamese vaccine Nanocovax
- PM Vietnam has registered over 100 mln Covid 19 vaccine doses
- Made-in-Vietnam Covid-19 vaccine tested on monkeys
- Procurement of Covid-19 vaccines an urgent task: PM
- COVID-19 vaccine procurement an urgent task: PM
- Vietnam homegrown Covid vaccine Nano Covax Not enough scientific basis for licensing
- Vietnam plans Covid-19 vaccine human testing this year
- Gov t approves COVID 19 vaccine fund
- What do we know so far about Vietnam’s homegrown COVID-19 vaccines?