Nguyen Thanh Phong re-elected as HCMC Chairman for the 2021-2026 tenure - PHOTO: TNO
HCMC - Nguyen Thanh Phong was re-elected as chairman of the HCMC People's Committee for the 2021-2026 tenure at the first session of the 10th-term municipal People’s Council on June 24.
Born in the Mekong Delta province of Ben Tre in 1962, Phong holds a PhD degree in economics.
In early 2007, Phong was picked as member of the HCMC Party Committee, and appointed as Party secretary of District 2. In 2009, he was appointed as deputy secretary of the Ben Tre Party Committee and became secretary of the Ben Tre Party Committee a year later.
At the 11th National Party Congress in 2011, he was elected as member of the Party Central Committee.
In 2013, he was elected as chairman of the Ben Tre People’s Council. In March 2015 he was appointed as deputy secretary of the HCMC Party Committee for the 2010-2015 tenure.
In October 2015, at the 10th HCMC Party Congress, he was re-elected as deputy secretary of the HCMC Party Committee. He replaced Le Hoang Quan to hold the post of HCMC chairman in December 2015.
At the first session of the ninth municipal People’s Council, Phong was re-elected as chairman of the HCMC People’s Committee for the 2016-2021 tenure.
- Phan Van Mai picked as permanent deputy Party secretary of HCMC
- Hanoi Party Committee Secretary re-elected
- New HCMC Party Secretary makes his first official appearance
- Party secretary of Thu Duc City named
- Tran Luu Quang becomes Hai Phong City Party secretary
- NA gets three new vice chairmen
- Tran Luu Quang becomes Haiphong City Party secretary
- Top leader Nguyen Phu Trong re elected as Party General Secretary
- Tran Hoang Quan appointed as Director of HCMC Department of Construction