First 1,000 jabs in third-phase trials of Nano Covax administered. (Photo: NDO)
NDO/VNA – The administration of the first 1,000 shots in the third-phase trials of Nano Covax, a home-grown COVID-19 vaccine candidate, has completed, the Hanoi-based Vietnam Military Medical University said.
The jabs were given to about 880 volunteers in the northern region under the university’s coordination and more than 120 others in the south under the coordination of the Pasteur Institute in Ho Chi Minh City.
The shots were administered on a 6:1 ratio, which meant six got the vaccine and one received placebo, according to Lt. Col. Chu Van Men, Director of the university’s Centre for Clinical Trials and Bioequivalence.
The volunteers will have blood samples taken to test the generation of immunity by July 30, and data about the vaccine safety and immunity generation are set to be available by mid-September.
After the first 1,000 volunteers, the trials of Nano Covax will continue on another 12,000 on a 2:1 ratio, with two getting the vaccine and one the placebo.
The third-phase trials, using only the 25mcg doses, cover 13,000 volunteers aged between 18 and 75 nationwide.
Results of the first two stages show good immunity generation in all volunteers, Men noted.
Nano Covax has been developed by the Nanogen Pharmaceutical Biotechnology JSC since May 2020. The first-phase trials began on December 18, 2020 while the second phase on February 26 this year, and the third on June 11.
Vietnam also has several other vaccine candidates under development.
- Deputy PM visits first cases of clinical trials of COVID-19 vaccine Nano Covax
- Vietnam completes second phase of human trials of Covid-19 vaccine
- First 35 volunteers receive injections of home-grown COVID-19 vaccine in second-stage trial
- First phase of human trials for Vietnam’s Covid-19 vaccine was safe and effective against the virus
- Vietnam COVID 19 Updates April 9 Second shots of Nano Covax in 2nd stage trials completed
- Seventeen volunteers get second shot of Nano Covax
- Made-in-Vietnam COVID-19 vaccine effective against new variant viruses
- Volunteers receive second shots of Nanocovax vaccine
- Volunteers receiving highest doses of Vietnam made COVID 19 vaccine in stable health