General Secretary Nguyen Phu Trong speaking at the first meeting of the Central Military Commission (2020-2025 tenure)
NDO/VNA - Party General Secretary Nguyen Phu Trong chaired the first meeting of the Central Military Commission (2020-2025 tenure) in Hanoi on June 17.
The meeting saw the attendance of Politburo members Nguyen Xuan Phuc, State President and member of the commission’s Standing Board; Pham Minh Chinh, Prime Minister and member of the Standing Board; Vo Van Thuong, permanent member of the Party Central Committee’s Secretariat; and Sent. Lieut. Gen. Phan Van Giang, Vice Secretary of the commission and Minister of National Defence.
The meeting announced the Politburo’s decision on the assignment of members of the commission and its Standing Board. Accordingly, the Central Military Commission (2020-2025 term) comprises 25 members, while its Standing Board is staffed by six, including Party General Secretary Trong, President Phuc and PM Chinh.
It also reviewed the leadership and instruction over the implementation of military and defence tasks in the first half of 2021, and put forth tasks for the second half.
In his remarks, Trong asked the commission to be well aware of its responsibility, and build an army that is absolutely loyal to the Fatherland, Party, State and people.
He praised the commission, the Ministry of National Defence, and officers and soldiers for achievements they have recorded in the first half of this year.
The military should be the pioneer in the fight against bad deeds, corruption, individualism and phenomena of degradation, and set an example for the entire society, the Party leader stressed.
He also urged the army to drastically protect the Party’s ideological foundation and fight against wrong and hostile views.
During the six-month period, relevant forces have closely controlled the national border, prevented illegal entry and exit, organised COVID-19 quarantine and provided timely support for localities hit by the pandemic, contributing to containing the disease nationwide, the meeting heard.
Such efforts have been appreciated by the Party, State and people.
Bilateral and multilateral defence external activities and UN peace-keeping operations have been stepped up, helping to raise the image, position and prestige of Vietnam and the Vietnam People’s Army in the international arena.
- Top leader Nguyen Phu Trong re elected as Party General Secretary
- 13th tenure Politburo of 18 members elected
- Phan Van Mai picked as permanent deputy Party secretary of HCMC
- 16 Politburo members, 4 Party Secretariat members nominated for NA election
- Politburo assigns Dinh Tien Dung as Hanoi Party Committee Secretary
- Personnel of Hanoi’s Party Committee for 2020-2025 term announced
- Hanoi Party Committee Secretary re-elected
- Truong Thi Mai becomes first female head of PCC’s Commission for Organization
- Tran Luu Quang becomes Hai Phong City Party secretary
- Tran Luu Quang becomes Haiphong City Party secretary