Motorists are seen wearing face mask while traveling on the street amid coronavirus concern. Dong Thap Province today, June 1, reported the first suspected Covid-19 case in the latest coronavirus wave – PHOTO: VNA
HCMC – A local man in Dong Thap Province, who had close contact with two Covid-19 cases in neighboring Long An Province, was suspected to be infected with Covid-19, making him the first suspected case in the province in the latest coronavirus wave.
He lives in Dong Thap’s Thap Muoi District bordering Long An’s Tan Thanh District, reported VnExpress.
On the night of May 29, he came into close contact with the two coronavirus cases, who were linked to a religious sect in HCMC, when he went to Tan Thanh, according to Dong Thap’s anti-Covid-19 steering committee.
He was put in quarantine the following day and tested positive for the coronavirus today, June 1.
The local health authorities discovered that nine people had close contact with him, with seven residing in Dong Thap and two others in Tien Giang Province. The seven people in Dong Thap tested negative once.
Following the detection of this suspected case, the steering committee convened an urgent meeting to map out response measures. Covid-19 checkpoints were set up at entrances to Dong Thap since this afternoon to monitor residents entering and exiting the province.
Also, Dong Thap suspended passenger transport services on fixed routes, contract cars, taxis to and from HCMC and other virus-hit regions. It bans large gatherings with more than 20 people in public places, outside office buildings, schools, hospitals.
In related news, traffic police in HCMC will impose fines of VND1-3 million on unmasked people traveling on the street starting today. Besides this, passenger coaches will be fined VND5-10 million if they are found violating social distancing rules or transporting more than the prescribed number of passengers during the pandemic, Tuoi Tre Online reported.
- Tra Vinh detects suspected Covid-19 case linked to HCMC religious sect
- HCMC records 22 new suspected Covid-19 cases linked to religious sect
- Vinh Phuc reports eight suspected cases of Covid-19
- Dong Thap convenes urgent meeting on positive Covid-19 illicit immigrants
- 12 more suspected Covid-19 cases detected in HCMC
- HCMC, Gia Lai reports Covid-19 cases linked to Hai Duong Province
- Sixteen more community-infected cases of Covid-19 confirmed
- Suspected case in HCM City negative for SARS-CoV-2
- Quang Ngai’s hamlet of over 200 residents put under lockdown