President Nguyen Xuan Phuc (Photo: NDO/Tran Hai)
NDO/VNA – Vietnamese President Nguyen Xuan Phuc on May 30 sent a letter to his US counterpart Joe Biden to discuss bilateral relations, especially the enhancement of cooperation in coping with the COVID-19 pandemic.
In the letter, the Vietnamese leader welcomed and thanked the US for its commitment to donate US$4 billion to the COVID-19 Vaccines Global Access (COVAX) initiative, noting that Vietnam has received two batches with about 2.5 million doses of vaccine from this mechanism.
COVAX is really a precious and timely assistance that has helped Vietnam and many other developing countries in responding to the pandemic when vaccine supply sources have still been limited, he wrote.
President Phuc also applauded the US’s commitment to contribute an additional 80 million COVID-19 vaccine doses to the joint efforts of the international community amid complicated developments of the pandemic in Vietnam and Southeast Asia.
He expressed his hope that the US will continue to support Vietnam and other countries in COVID-19 vaccine supplies, while suggesting that the two sides strengthen cooperation in COVID-19 vaccine research, production and technology transfer.
President Phuc affirmed that Vietnam always attaches great importance to the comprehensive partnership with the US, and believed that based on the spirit of friendly cooperation, both sides will continue to promote bilateral relations in a more intensive and practical manner, thus benefiting people of both nations and contributing to the maintenance of peace, stability, cooperation and development in the region and the world.
Earlier, in recent phone talks with leaders of other countries such as China, Russia and Japan, leaders of the Vietnamese Party, State and Government also asked for the countries’ assistance in accessing vaccine supplies and cooperation in researching and transferring COVID-19 vaccine production technology.
- Vietnam received second shipment of 1,682,400 COVID-19 vaccine doses from COVAX Facility
- UK donates 1 billion USD to help poor countries access COVID-19 vaccine
- Over 800,000 Covid-19 vaccine doses provided by Covax arrive in Vietnam
- COVID-19 vaccines to be distributed equally: Deputy PM
- Low income countries to receive COVAX vaccine this month
- Vietnam gets 288,000 more AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccine doses
- Health Ministry proposes not buying additional 30 million doses of AstraZeneca vaccine
- Vietnam gets 288,000 more AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccine shots
- Vietnam received another 288,000 doses of AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccines yesterday