A medical worker handles test tubes containing samples for Covid-19 testing. Vietnam reported 48 new domestic Covid-19 cases on Tuesday evening - PHOTO: MINISTRY OF HEALTH
HCMC - Thirty-three out of 48 new domestic Covid-19 cases confirmed this evening, May 18, were detected in Bac Giang, keeping the northern province the biggest Covid-19 hotspot in the fourth Covid-19 wave.
The new cases in the province are people that had close contact with Covid-19 patients and had been quarantined before testing positive.
The province accounted for more than half of today’s Covid-19 tally, with 96 cases out of the country’s total of 152.
Among the remaining cases, 13 were reported in Bac Ninh Province, while Dien Bien and Thai Binh provinces had one case each. They were detected at quarantine centers or areas that are currently under lockdown.
Up to now, Vietnam has reported 4,512 Covid-19 cases, including 1,473 domestic infections in 28 cities and provinces in the latest outbreak starting late last month.
Bac Giang and Bac Ninh have been hit the hardest by the fourth Covid-19 wave, with 507 and 306 cases to date, respectively.
The Ministry of Health has asked some frontline hospitals and the National Institute of Hygiene and Epidemiology to help Bac Giang Province with Covid-19 testing. The province is now capable of performing some 1,500 Covid-19 tests a day.
Many localities such as Hanoi, Quang Ninh, Yen Bai and Hai Duong have sent medical workers and equipment to Bac Giang to help the province fight off Covid-19.
For Bac Ninh Province, the Health Ministry has asked Bach Mai Hospital to send experts and mechanical ventilators to Bac Ninh Province General Hospital to assist the hospital in treating Covid-19 patients and restrict sending patients to the National Hospital for Tropical Diseases.
- Thirty-four new Covid-19 cases detected in six localities
- New Covid-19 cases surge in Danang
- Vietnam adds 86 cases to Covid-19 tally
- Six more Covid-19 cases detected in Hanoi, Hung Yen
- Vietnam confirms another 48 domestic Covid-19 infections
- 16 new locally-infected Covid-19 cases reported
- 127 new COVID-19 cases reported on May 16 morning
- Vietnam records biggest single-day rise in Covid-19 cases
- 21 fresh community-transmitted Covid-19 cases reported
- Thirty-one new cases reported in seven localities