PM Pham Minh Chinh speaking at the meeting. (Photo: NDO)
NDO/VNA – Buying COVID-19 vaccines is a necessary and urgent task that must be carried out immediately, Prime Minister Pham Minh Chinh told permanent Government members who met on May 17 to discuss the purchase of Pfizer vaccine.
Reporting the Ministry of Health (MoH)’s plan to buy the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine, Minister Nguyen Thanh Long said Pfizer did not agree to negotiate the price or contract conditions, and the Vietnamese side must reply to the company on May 18 at the latest.
PM Chinh said procuring COVID-19 vaccines is necessary and urgent as stated by the Politburo and the Party Central Committee’s Secretariat in Official Dispatch No. 50-CV/TW, dated February 19, and the Government in Resolution No. 21/NQ-CP, issued on February 26.
In the spirit of “combating the pandemic is like combating the enemy” and facing the global shortage of COVID-19 vaccines, he requested the MoH and other ministries and sectors to uphold their sense of responsibility to carry out measures to obtain vaccines as soon as possible.
As this is an emergency situation, the vaccine procurement must be handled in line with legal regulations on special and urgent circumstances and conducted immediately, the Government leader added.
As of 6am on May 18, Vietnam had recorded 4,378 cases of COVID-19, with 2,668 recoveries and 37 deaths. They include 2,909 domestically-transmitted infections and 1,469 imported ones. As many as 1,339 new local infections were detected since the latest outbreak hit the country on April 27.
- Procurement of Covid-19 vaccines an urgent task: PM
- Health sector must overcome difficulties to prioritise public health: PM
- Vietnam to arrange 110 million doses of Covid-19 vaccine this year
- Vietnam will get 31 Million Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine doses this year
- WHO issues first emergency use validation to BioNTech-Pfizer COVID vaccine
- Pham Minh Chinh sworn in as Vietnam's new prime minister
- Vietnam to receive latest Covid-19 vaccine production technologies
- Vietnam to receive some 4.1 million doses of Covid-19 vaccine
- Pham Minh Chinh elected Prime Minister of Vietnam