A special quarantine zone for Covid-19 patients. Vietnam reported 19 domestic Covid-19 infections on Tuesday morning - PHOTO: MINISTRY OF HEALTH
HCMC - The Ministry of Health reported 19 new locally transmitted Covid-19 cases this morning, May 18, including 13 in Hanoi, three in Ha Nam, two in Dien Bien and one in Son La.
All of the new cases were detected at quarantine centers, sending the country’s Covid-19 tally to 4,378.
The country has reported 1,340 domestic infections in 28 provinces and cities in the latest Covid-19 wave since April 27.
With 13 new cases, Hanoi’s Covid-19 tally rose to 239, keeping the capital city in the top three localities with the largest number of new cases in the fourth Covid-19 wave. Bac Giang Province still tops the list with 411 cases, followed by Bac Ninh Province with 290.
Up to now, 2,668 Covid-19 patients in the country have fully recovered, while 37 people have died of the disease.
The fourth Covid-19 outbreak has led to a sharp increase in community transmitted infections, forcing the government to reinstitute precautionary health and mobility restriction measures, the World Bank said in the “Vietnam Macro Monitoring May 2021” report.
Data of the World Bank showed that Covid-19 vaccinations accelerated in April, with 506,000 doses administered, compared to about 50,000 at the end of March. The Government has announced that it will allocate VND12.1 trillion (over US$520 million) to procure more Covid-19 vaccines.
Addressing a meeting on May 17, Minister of Health Nguyen Thanh Long said the fourth Covid-19 wave would last longer and spread more widely than previous waves.
According to Prime Minister Pham Minh Chinh, Vietnam has basically brought the latest outbreak under control, but the risk remains high.
More than one-third (35%) of new Covid-19 cases in the latest outbreak are workers at industrial zones, mostly in northern provinces. The local governments suggested the workers not come back to their hometown or go to other provinces. The industrial zones have been asked to test all workers and experts for Covid-19.
- 16 new locally-infected Covid-19 cases reported
- No new COVID-19 cases reported on April 3 morning
- Thirty-four new Covid-19 cases detected in six localities
- 127 new COVID-19 cases reported on May 16 morning
- Vietnam’s domestic Covid-19 tally was up by 33 on Thursday morning
- Vietnam reports 14 new locally transmitted Covid-19 cases
- Three imported Covid-19 cases reported in Khanh Hoa
- Vietnam records biggest single-day rise in Covid-19 cases
- Covid-19 pandemic spreads to 19 localities in Vietnam
- Vietnam reports 15 new domestic Covid-19 infections