Driver’s COVID-19 infection halts taxi, ride-hailing, delivery services in Da Nang
daitranvan 17-05-2021, 11:51

Authorities in Da Nang have suspended the operations of taxis, contract vehicles with fewer than nine seats, ride-hailing cars and motorbikes, and two-wheeler delivery services from 6:00 am on Monday after a rideshare driver was infected with COVID-19.

Drivers of the aforementioned vehicles should go to medical facilities to be tested for the coronavirus, the municipal Steering Committee for COVID-19 Prevention and Control requested during a meeting on Sunday evening.

Those who test negative for the novel coronavirus can return to their work after the ban is over.

On Saturday afternoon, Da Nang documented a local COVID-19 case, 26-year-old H.L.C.L., who works as a rideshare driver in Son Tra District.

At Sunday evening’s meeting, Da Nang Party Committee secretary Nguyen Van Quang suggested local authorities consider handling the violations of regulations on COVID-19 prevention and control at Truong Minh Commercial Service Joint Stock Company and SAFI Company at An Don Industrial Park in Son Tra District.

The heaviest available punishment for the two companies is suspension.

On the same day, Prime Minister Pham Minh Chinh awarded certificates of merit to the Center for Disease Control of Da Nang and the municipal Department of Health for their achievements in the prevention and control of COVID-19.

From May 3 to date, the medical authorities have tested more than 134,000 cases across the city. 

From Thursday to Sunday, nearly 20,000 people were tested every day, which marked a record for sampled and tested cases in a single day in the central city.

Da Nang has recorded 135 local COVID-19 cases from April 29 to 6:00 am on Monday.

The Ministry of Health confirmed 37 domestic cases of COVID-19 on Monday morning, taking the national tally to 4,212 patients, including 2,746 locally-transmitted infections.

Vietnam has confirmed 1,177 domestic coronavirus infections in 26 provinces and cities since April 27, when the country was first hit by a fourth wave after having spent roughly a month detecting no community transmission.