Yesterday, Vietnam received second shipment of 1,682,400 COVID-19 vaccine doses through COVAX Facility.
The additional vaccines will help the Ministry of Health to expand coverage and reach more people from the priority groups.
Visit Vietnam Insider’s homepage for more stories.
This delivery of the vaccines comes in addition to a first batch delivered in April 2021 and is part of the 4.1 million vaccine doses committed to Viet Nam, free of charge, by the COVAX Facility, the international partnership created to ensure global equitable access to COVID-19 vaccines. The COVAX Facility is co-led by the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness and Innovations (CEPI), GAVI, the Vaccine Alliance, World Health Organization (WHO) and UNICEF as key delivery partner.
Related: Over 977,000 people of the Vietnam’s population have been vaccinated against Covid-19
Since the arrival of the first shipment of vaccines from the COVAX Facility in April, more than 876,346 COVID-19 vaccines have been administered in Vietnam, mainly to health workers and other frontline workers. The additional vaccines will help the Ministry of Health to expand coverage and reach more people from the priority groups, while also providing a second dose to those who have already received the first dose.
Also read: Vietnam will get 31 Million Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine doses this year
The latest shipment of Vaxzevria® vaccines (previously called COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca) was developed jointly by AstraZeneca and the University of Oxford. This batch is shipped from Catalent Biologics’ manufacturing facility in Anagni, Italy. The Vaxzevria COVID-19 vaccine has received the Emergency Use Authorization from WHO and has been used successfully in Vietnam since March 2021 under its previous name.
For several months, COVAX partners, CEPI, GAVI, WHO and delivery partner UNICEF, have been supporting the Government of Viet Nam in readiness efforts and the national rollout of COVID-19 vaccines. They have been especially active in developing a National Vaccination Plan, as Vietnam is benefiting from the Advance Market Commitment (AMC). The AMC is an innovative financial mechanism to help secure global and equitable access for COVID-19 vaccines.
- Vietnam just received another 811,200 COVID-19 vaccine doses, how to get vaccinated?
- Vietnam receives 1st shipment of 811,200 coronavirus vaccine doses supported by COVAX Facility
- Health Ministry proposes not buying additional 30 million doses of AstraZeneca vaccine
- Over 800,000 Covid-19 vaccine doses provided by Covax arrive in Vietnam
- Low income countries to receive COVAX vaccine this month
- AstraZeneca vaccine shots COVAX provided for Vietnam to expire in less than 2 months
- Vietnam to receive over 5.6 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines in two months
- Health Ministry to receive over VND1.2 trillion to buy Covid-19 vaccines
- Vietnam to receive almost 1.7 million more AstraZeneca doses this weekend