Vietnam’s Ministry of Health confirmed 187 local coronavirus cases on Sunday, the highest daily spike since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic in the country last year.
All of the new infections were recorded in isolated areas, the health ministry said in a report on its verified Facebook account.
Ninety-eight of them were registered in Bac Giang Province in the northern region, the majority at an industrial park, while 47 patients were logged in Bac Ninh Province, also in the north.
Sunday’s cases broke the daily record set on Saturday, when the health ministry announced 165 local infections, all detected in locked-down sites.
Vietnam has confirmed 1,140 domestic coronavirus infections in 26 provinces and cities since April 27, when the country was struck by a fourth wave after having spent roughly a month detecting no community transmission.
Bac Giang is leading this tally with 314 patients, followed by Bac Ninh with 241, Hanoi with 221, and Da Nang with 135.
Only one case has been reported in Ho Chi Minh City in this wave so far.
Vietnam’s national COVID-19 caseload has surged to 4,175 domestic and imported infections as of Sunday night, according to the health ministry’s data.
Recoveries have reached 2,668, whereas 36 patients have died, most having suffered critical underlying conditions.
The health ministry recorded the first virus-related death in over eight months on Saturday.
The country had administered over 977,000 coronavirus vaccine shots by the end of Saturday, the majority to medical staff and other frontline workers.
More than 22,500 people have been given two vaccine shots.
The Southeast Asian country confirmed 106 community cases in the first wave from January 23 to April 16, 2020, 554 in the second from July 25 to December 1, 2020, and 910 in the third from January 28 to March 25, 2021.
- Vietnam announces sharpest-ever daily rise in local coronavirus infections
- Vietnam adds more than 100 local coronavirus infections in one day
- Vietnam adds more than 100 domestic coronavirus infections in one day
- 127 local coronavirus infections added to Vietnam’s tally: morning update
- Vietnam reports daily spike of 64 local coronavirus infections
- Vietnam records daily increase of 52 local infections: health ministry’s midday update
- Vietnam reports daily spike of 64 local coronavirus infections, one-third at hospital
- Vietnam announces record daily hike of 92 local coronavirus infections
- Vietnam health ministry provides unusual noon update as local COVID-19 infections accelerate
- Vietnam confirms 115 local coronavirus infections in 24 hours