Two medical workers handle tubes containing samples for Covid-19 testing. The Ministry of Health confirmed 34 new Covid-19 cases on Wednesday morning - PHOTO: VGP
HCMC - Thirty-four new Covid-19 cases, including 33 domestic infections and one imported case, were found in six localities this morning, May 12, sending the country’s tally to 3,571.
Among the 33 new locally-infected cases, 21were detected in quarantine centers, eight in areas being locked down and four at a frontline hospital.
Vinh Phuc Province saw the biggest number of new cases this morning, at 13, followed by Danang with seven cases and Bac Giang with six cases. Hanoi reported five new cases, including four at the National Hospital for Tropical Diseases. Lang Son and Nam Dinh provinces had one new case each.
The only imported case is a man returning from Russia that was immediately quarantined upon his arrival in Danang City.
The country has had 562 Covid-19 cases in 26 cities and provinces in the latest outbreak since April 27. Hanoi remains the biggest hotspot with 153 cases, including 84 at the National Hospital for Tropical Diseases, followed by Bac Ninh with 119 cases and Vinh Phuc with 73 cases.
Up to now, Vietnam has vaccinated more than 887,700 people against Covid-19, including 20,732 people vaccinated on April 11.
Explaining why some hospitals become Covid-19 hotspots, Minister of Health Nguyen Thanh Long said frontline hospitals, especially the National Hospital for Tropical Diseases, receive a large number of Covid-19 patients from many localities. Although preventive measures have been strictly implemented in these hospitals, the risk of transmission remains high.
The Ministry of Health has asked the hospitals to perform regular Covid-19 tests on the patients, caregivers and health workers to detect new Covid-19 cases as soon as possible.
The ministry has also tightened control on quarantine centers. At present, more than 67,000 people having close contact with Covid-19 patients or returning from pandemic-hit countries are being quarantined, including over 27,000 at quarantine centers.
- Eight new Covid-19 cases detected at National Hospital for Tropical Diseases
- Four fresh Covid-19 cases raise Vietnam’s tally to 2,985
- Vietnam’s Covid-19 community transmission tally increases by 28
- 40 more locally-infected Covid-19 cases confirmed
- Vietnam reports nine imported, 10 locally-transmitted cases of Covid-19
- Health Ministry reports 32 new Covid-19 cases, including 21 in Hanoi
- 78 more locally-infected Covid-19 cases confirmed this morning
- Vietnam annouces 109 more locally-transmitted Covid-19 patients on Monday morning
- COVID-19: Three more cases detected, virus attacks 13 localities
- Vietnam records biggest single-day rise in Covid-19 cases