A Chinese man was confirmed as a COVID-19 patient last week after he illegally entered Vietnam from Cambodia.
Coded patietn No. 2,585, the Chinese is the director of a company in Thuan An City, Binh Duong Province, where he lives with his wife and two daughters, the provincial Center for Disease Control said in a report.
In January, he crossed the Vietnamese border into Cambodia to meet a partner there.
In March, he tried to find ways to sneak back into Vietnam when the COVID-19 epidemic in Cambodia became complicated, given the detection of a series of cases.
On March 23, he entered Vietnam unlawfully by motorbike.
He was then taken in a four-seater car steered by a Vietnamese driver from Moc Bai in Tay Ninh Province to Thuan An.
On March 24, he stayed home with his wife and daughters, then driving to his company but coming into contact with nobody there.
On March 25, he took his wife in a car to the Ho Chi Minh City Center for Disease Control for a COVID-19 test as he feared infection.
His test returned positive on the evening of the same day.
He is being isolated for treatment in Binh Duong.
Contact tracing and mandatory quarantine related to this case have been underway ever since.
No further transmission from the Chinese has been confirmed so far.
Vietnam reported three imported coronavirus cases on Monday, taking the national tally to 2,594 patients, including 1,603 local infections, according to the Ministry of Health.
The country has recorded 910 domestic cases since January 27.
It has announced 2,308 recoveries and 35 virus-related deaths as yet.
- Vietnamese province detects numerous cases transporting Chinese citizens to Cambodia
- An Giang discovers 34 foreigners who entered Vietnam illegally
- Man enters Vietnam illegally after escaping from quarantine camp in Cambodia
- 61 laborers illegally enter Vietnam to escape Covid-19 pandemic in Cambodia
- Vietnam reports five more imported Covid-19 infection cases
- Covid-19 positive Chinese man, Vietnamese woman unlawfully enter Vietnam
- Five more people tested positive for Covid-19 in Vietnam
- Eight women caught illegally entering Vietnam from Cambodia
- Two women arrested for smuggling Chinese nationals into Vietnam
- Returnees from COVID-19 hotspots must quarantine for 14 days in HCM City