A file photo of the rescue vessels. A rescue team is searching for seven fishermen who went missing after their boat sank in the waters off Con Dao Island on January 18 – PHOTO: VNA
HCMC – A search and rescue operation is being conducted to look for seven fishermen who went missing after their boat sank in the waters off Con Dao Island in Ba Ria-Vung Tau Province on January 18.
Fishing boat BT 93998 TS from the Mekong Delta province of Ben Tre with 13 people on board sank after being hit by high waves. At the time of the incident, the boat was on the way to the mainland and was some 50 nautical miles off the island, said the Maritime Search and Rescue Coordination Center Region 3 on January 19.
Six fishermen were rescued by fishing boats in the area. Rescue forces are searching for the seven others.
However, the rescue efforts were challenging due to high waves measuring 5-6 meters and strong winds gusting at level 9.
- Typhoon Molave nears mainland of central Vietnam
- Another landslide kills three, leaves eight missing in Quang Nam
- Fishing boat sinks off Quang Binh coast, leaving two missing
- Three fishermen from Binh Dinh adrift at sea rescued
- Rescuers approach sunken fishing boats, search for missing fishermen
- Panamanian ship sinks, 15 Chinese, Vietnamese sailors missing
- Health Ministry confirms four new imported cases of Covid-19
- 15 Chinese, Vietnamese crew missing after Panamanian vessel sinks near central coast
- Vietnamese forces rescue Russian vessel stranded at sea