Since then, Apple has progressed enough that it now aims to build a vehicle for consumers, two people familiar with the effort said, asking not to be named because Apple’s plans are not public. Apple’s goal of building a personal vehicle for the mass market contrasts with rivals such as Alphabet Inc’s Waymo, which has built robo-taxis to carry passengers for a driverless ride-hailing service.
Apple declined to comment on its plans or future products.
“If there is one company on the planet that has the resources to do that, it’s probably Apple. But at the same time, it’s not a cellphone,” said a person who worked on Project Titan.
Two people with knowledge of Apple’s plans warned pandemic-related delays could push the start of production into 2025 or beyond.
Apple’s car might feature multiple lidar sensors for scanning different distances, another person said. Some sensors could be derived from Apple’s internally developed lidar units, that person said. Apple’s iPhone 12 Pro and iPad Pro models released this year both feature lidar sensors.
As for the car’s battery, Apple plans to use a unique “monocell” design that bulks up the individual cells in the battery and frees up space inside the battery pack by eliminating pouches and modules that hold battery materials, one of the people said.
”It’s next level,” the person said of Apple’s battery technology. “Like the first time you saw the iPhone.”
To turn a profit, automotive contract manufacturers often ask for volumes that could pose a challenge even to Apple, which would be a newcomer to the automotive market.
- Digiworld named as a distributor of Apple products in Vietnam
- Apple plans to manufacture new over-ear headphones in Vietnam
- Digiworld to distribute Apple products in Vietnam
- Apple set to add Vietnamese to Siri
- No Apple store, no problem in Vietnam
- Digiworld poised to sell Apple products
- Why Apple AirPods Max headphones will be made in Vietnam?
- Why Foxconn shifting Apple production from China to Vietnam?
- Apple speeds up output shift of iPhones and iPads in Vietnam
- Apple leads in Vietnam smartphone awareness survey