Thousands of Argentines lined the roads as the procession passed on the hour-long journey from the presidential palace in central Buenos Aires, where Maradona had lain in state during the day. Due to the sheer numbers many were unable to throw their football jerseys and flowers by Maradona’s coffin and so they scrapped ferociously with heavily-armored police.
In Argentina, three days of national mourning were called for the 1986 World Cup winner.
Football star Diego Maradona died of a heart attack aged 60 on Wednesday just two weeks after being discharged from hospital for a bleed on his brain.
- Death of ‘eternal’ Maradona plunges football world into mourning
- ‘Adios Diego’: Maradona buried as world mourns flawed soccer great
- Football legend Diego Maradona dead at 60
- The greatest football team of all times announced
- Vietnamese culinary culture promoted in Argentina
- Here is a list of the major events that have happened in 2020
- Veteran football coach Le Thuy Hai passes away at the age of 76
- Injured Hung Dung may be discharged from hospital in two days
- Chilean president defends territorial claim in spat with Argentina
- Lightning strike kills 1 of 6 students playing football at school in Vietnam