The samples from Sichuan Province were identified as those of Nannophya pygmaea, commonly known as scarlet dwarf, with the smallest adult specimen having a body length of about 15 mm, Xinhua News Agency quoted the Insect Museum of West China as saying.
The previous record for the smallest dragonfly stood at 17 mm.
There are approximately 5,000 dragonfly species in the world. China is home to more than 990 species, more than any other country, according to the museum.
- New insects discovered in Vietnam
- The village produces millions of “unique” bamboo dragonflies in Hanoi
- China completes its first-ever docking in lunar orbit
- China blasts dam to release floodwaters
- Chinese craft carrying Moon rocks returns to Earth: Xinhua
- The village of bamboo dragonflies in Hanoi
- China’s moon probe lands back on Earth
- Massive flooding in China World s largest hydroelectric dam ushers in largest flood peak
- China’s massive flooding: 100,000 evacuated, Three Gorges Dam facing historic flood peak