The Saigon Times
HCMC – The Investigation and Security Agency under the Ministry of Public Security has completed its investigation and suggested that the Supreme People's Procuracy prosecute former Hanoi chairman Nguyen Duc Chung for appropriating the State's secret.
The agency also proposed prosecuting three accomplices of Chung—Nguyen Hoang Trung, Chung's driver; Nguyen Anh Ngoc, former deputy head of the editorial department at the Hanoi People’s Committee, and Pham Quang Dung, a former official of the anti-corruption police department.
They were detained in July for appropriating the State’s secret files related to Bui Quang Huy, general director of Hanoi-based Nhat Cuong Trading and Services Co., Ltd or Nhat Cuong Mobile, who has fled after being charged with trading in smuggled mobile phones and electronic devices.
According to Major General To An Xo, office manager of the Ministry of Public Security, Chung was also involved in accounting irregularities, money laundering and serious violations in bidding regulations at Nhat Cuong Mobile and the Hanoi People’s Committee’s mismanagement of State assets and wastefulness.
Moreover, the investigation agency found that Chung sent US$10,000 to Dung in 2019. However, the agency has not been able to ascertain why Chung sent the money to Dung.
Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc signed a decision temporarily suspending Chung from his post on August 11.
Chung was born in 1967 in Thang Long Commune, Kinh Mon District, Hai Duong Province. He had been leading the People’s Committee of Hanoi since December 4, 2015. Before that, he was director of the Hanoi Social Order-Related Crime Investigation Police Department and Hanoi Police Director.
- HCMC likely to have two more pedestrian streets
- Torrential rains inundate Central Highlands, South-Central regions
- Drivers’ income to drop by just 1-2%: Grab
- HCMC seizes two containers of used gloves imported from China
- Former Hanoi chairman jailed five years for appropriating classified documents
- Hanoi chairman arrested for appropriating state secret documents
- Nguyen Duc Chung suspended from Hanoi People’s Council deputy status
- Former Hanoi Mayor gets five-year prison term
- Vietnam regrets U.S. decision to sanction Vietnamese firm over Iran-related trade
- Hanoi mayor suspended from duties for involving in criminal cases