The United Nations International Children's Emergency Fund (UNICEF) has mobilized VND61 billion (more than US$2.5 million) for six flood-hit localities in Central Viet Nam.
Approximately 380,000 houses in flood-hit localities are flooded, damaged or destroyed.
These six localities are Ha Tinh Province, Quang Binh Province, Quang Tri Province, ThuaThien-Hue Province, Da Nang City and Quang Ngai Province.
According to the UNICEF’s report, since early October parts of central Viet Nam have received unprecedented rains that, combined with three powerful tropical storms – Linfa, Nangka and Molave - have caused flooding and devastation; killing at least 174 people, and displacing thousands of people.
Over 7.7 million people live in the 9 provinces affected by the natural disasters. Water levels in some areas have reached the highest point in over two decades.
The storms have also damaged vital infrastructure, including electricity and roads, leaving many communities cut off from assistance and protection.
The successive storms caused extensive damage to running water networks, sanitation facilities, schools, clinics, houses and communal infrastructures.
Over 2.5 million children are at risk of diseases due to lack of access to drinking water and from the unhygienic environment.
Approximately 380,000 houses have been flooded, damaged or destroyed.
UNICEF has worked with other United Nations agencies, and humanitarian partners to support national relief efforts and provide emergency aid to the most vulnerable people.
Staff in the field have reached the most hard-hit regions and assessed the impact of the multiple natural disasters on the population.
Over US$180,000 has been committed for immediate relief to provide clean water, sanitation and hygiene to the affected populations.
By: Thuy Dung/Online Newspaper of the Government - Viet Nam Government Portal
- Gov’t allocates US$ 29 mln for central localities to overcome storm consequences
- PM approves VND80 bln for three flood-hit Central provinces
- UN donates US$400,000 to flood-hit central Vietnam
- Storm Linfa to hit flooded central Vietnam
- Hanoi supports flood victims in central region
- Quang Nam villagers get support to build back flood damaged houses
- EU provides 1.3 million euros to help Vietnam’s flood victims
- Storm Linfa to compound woes for flooded central Vietnam
- Relief aid delivered to storm victims in Quang Nam