Author Rudroneel Ghosh underscores ASEAN’s centrality to both diplomatic and legal processes and the promotion of law-based multilateral forums in the region.
Ghosh told a VOV correspondent in India that ASEAN has secured an expanding position as a global growth driver. East Sea disputes, if not addressed properly in accordance with international law and order, will be detrimental to regional development.
He underlined Vietnam’s role as ASEAN Chair 2020, saying, “Vietnam plays already an important role for two reasons: First, it’s a participant in the ASEAN architecture. And as ASEAN Chair, it has shown that it’s willing to defend a rule-based order and international laws. Second, Vietnam has a unique point because it has good economic connection and party-to-party connection with China and at the same time it’s mindful of protecting and defending a multilateral order.”
He continued, “I think it’s a great approach for the development of East Asia. Vietnam’s approach is absolutely right and should be supported.”
- Vietnam plays an important role in Japan‚Äôs foreign policy regarding the ASEAN
- ASEAN leaders stress upholding rule of law in East Sea
- Thailand to highlight multilateral cooperation at AMM-53
- ASEAN, AIPA work together toward new development path
- ASEAN, China agree to go ahead with East Sea negotiations
- VN highly values US’s support for ASEAN centrality
- Vietnam plays huge role in 25-year ASEAN development: Russian expert
- International community praises Vietnam’s ASEAN presidency
- ASEAN China agree to go ahead with negotiations on Code of Conduct in East Sea