Late Tuesday (local time), Election Day in the US officially ended, but it was still unknown who the winner is.
The results updated as of 6am, Wednesday (local time), showed President Donald Trump won 213 electoral votes and his Democratic challenger Joe Biden won 238. A candidate needs at least 270 electoral votes to win the election. States Trump won were Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Mississippi, West Virginia, Indiana, Missouri, South Carolina, Lousiana, Florida, Ohio, and Texas. Biden won the states of Illinois, New Jersey, Virginia, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Washington DC, Vermont, New York, Colorado, New Hampshire, California, Arizona, and New Mexico.
The counting of votes has continued in 7 states, including battlefield states like Pennsylvania (20 electoral votes), Michigan (16 electoral votes), Wisconsin (10 electoral votes), and Georgia (16 electoral votes). At 9am on Wednesday (local time), there will be an update on the ballot count in Pennsylvania, a state important to both candidates to become the next US president.
President Donald Trump falsely claimed victory over Democratic rival Joe Biden early Wednesday with millions of votes still uncounted. “We were getting ready to win this election. Frankly, we did win this election,” Trump said. “This is a major fraud on our nation. We want the law to be used in a proper manner. So we’ll be going to the US Supreme Court. We want all voting to stop.”
Polls have closed and voting has stopped across the country, but election laws in US states require all votes to be counted, and many states routinely take days to finish counting ballots. More votes stood to be counted this year than in the past as people voted early by mail and in person because of the coronavirus pandemic.
- Trump, Biden vie for battleground states, still early to call
- US election: Joe Biden leads over President Trump
- US election 2020: Biden narrowly leads Trump
- US presidential election: Joe Biden optimistic about election results
- 2020 US presidential election updates
- All US states verify presidential election results
- Election 2020 in America
- President Trump says he will leave White House if Biden wins Electoral College vote
- US Election 2020 Trump says he will leave office if Electoral College votes for Biden