After winning the prize for best rice in the world in 2019, ST25 fragrant rice won first prize in the 2020 Viet Nam Best Rice Contest on Monday.
The contest was organized by the Vietnam Food Association (VFA), Crops Department , and Nong Thon Ngay Nay (Countryside Today) Newspaper.
The winner will represent Viet Nam in the 2020 World’s Best Rice Contest this November.
Le Thanh Tung, deputy chairman of Crops Department, said at the contest that the organisers’ desire was to promote high-quality rice varieties that can compete with other countries.
All rice products participating in the contest must be made in Viet Nam, be submitted for a national test for at least one crop, and have a minimum purity of 98 per cent.
The ST25 rice variety was developed by a group of Soc Trang-based agricultural engineers led by Ho Quang Cua, former deputy director of Soc Trang Province’s Agriculture and Rural Development Department.
Last year, his ST24 rice variety was crowned the best in the world at The Rice Trader World Rice Conference 2019 in the Philippines.
This was the first time that Vietnamese rice was awarded the title.
The TRT World Rice Conference is the largest annual gathering of commercial and professional rice industry participants in the world. — VNS
- ST25 rice of Vietnam wins award at World's Best Rice Contest 2020
- ST25 rice maintains the title of best rice in Vietnam
- Exports of ST25, ST24 rice surge
- Australian company registers own trademark for Vietnamese rice
- American firms reportedly register Vietnam’s ST25 rice, once world’s best, for trademark protection in US
- Vietnam acts against Australian firm’s premium rice trademark registration
- Vietnam Trade Office protects ST24 and ST25 rice trademark in Australia
- Vietnam must copyright its well-known brands
- HCM City native wins grand prize at world art contest
- Vietnam Trade Office protects rice trademark in Australia