NGHỆ AN — Police in the central province of Nghe An on Tuesday seized a man carrying dozens of animals which were allegedly smuggled from Laos to Viet Nam for consumption in Chau Bình Commune, in the province’s Quỳ Chau District.
The suspected trafficker Vi Văn Vương, born in 1988, of Chau Bình Commune, drove a motorbike on which there were two chamois weighing a total of 53kg, 11 bamboo rats and four foxes weighing about 17.2kg, according to the police’s announcement on Wednesday.
The seizure is part of the local police’s investigation into wildlife trafficking which was launched early this month when Viet Nam resumed business and allowed travelling along border lines and via border gates after the COVID-19 was brought under control.
The case is under further investigation. — VNS
- 15 arrested as HCMC police seize 100 kg of drugs
- Drug trafficker arrested in Kon Tum for cross border smuggling
- Danang Council to elect new chairman
- Heavy rains, strong winds batter central Vietnam due to storm Etau
- Nigerian drug trafficker arrested in Tay Ninh
- Lao health worker caught bringing drugs into Vietnam