A waiter checks the final revenue as he closes a bar terrace in Paris on October 172020. (Source: AAP )
Just last month, both Latin America and Asia reported over 10 million total cases in their regions. The United States alone has over 9 million cases with a rapidly accelerating outbreak.
While Europe almost took nine months to record its first 5 million COVID-19 cases, the next 5 million cases were reported in slightly over a month, according to a Reuters analysis.
Amid the surging cases, France, Germany and the United Kingdom have announced nationwide lockdowns for at least the next month that are almost as strict as the restrictions in March and April. Portugal has imposed a partial lockdown and Spain and Italy are tightening restrictions.
- Global COVID-19: US sees new record, Britain announces lockdown
- Europe is gripped by a second wave of the coronavirus pandemic
- Australian newswire highlights Vietnam’s success in fighting COVID-19 resurgence
- 47.3 million COVID-19 cases globally
- Virus cases top nine million as WHO says pandemic ‘accelerating’
- No infections in Vietnam in one month as global cases surpass 30 million
- Global coronavirus deaths ?top 900000 as worldwide cases topped 27.7 million
- Global COVID-19 cases surpass 37 million
- Vietnam’s COVID-19 cases remain at 355