The Immigration Department under Vietnam’s Ministry of Public Security will extend its visa waiver program for another month until November 30 as a flexible handling of the Covid-19 pandemic, Vietnam News Agency reported, citing officials.
Foreign tourists are seen walking around Hoan Kiem lake, Hanoi on March 17. Photo: VNA
Foreigners who entered Vietnam from March 1 can have their temporary stay permits automatically extended. This is another one-month extension first adopted in mid-May to support foreigners stuck in the country due to travel restrictions caused by the Covid-19 pandemic.
According to the authorities, from now until November 30 people who came to Vietnam under visa waiver programs, e-visas or tourism visas from March 1 can stay or leave Vietnam without doing any paperwork or paying any fees.
Regulations on those who entered the country before March 1 remain the same as the current policy. They can be considered for this permit extension as long as they can prove they are stranded in Vietnam due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
For the visa extension, they need to provide certificates issued by their diplomatic mission in Vietnam through an official diplomatic note with a translation in Vietnamese or documents issued by Vietnamese authorities to confirm they were quarantined or treated for Covid-19 among other reasons beyond their control.
Those who do not fall under these categories or have committed illegal actions have to abide by the existing laws on immigration.
Vietnam has halted foreign entry since March and has allowed certain people, mainly diplomats, skilled laborers, experts, businesspeople, to come to the country to prevent business disruptions.
- Free stay permit waivers extended until October 31
- Free stay permit waivers extended until September 30
- Vietnam grants automatic visa extension for foreigners until July 31 free of charge
- Vietnam extends temporary stay permits for foreigners as Covid 19 continues
- Automatic extention of Vietnam visa until June 30
- Vietnam allows one more month for stranded tourists
- Vietnam provides another automatic extension of temporary stay for foreigners until August 31
- Foreigners stranded in Vietnam by the Covid-19 can have an automatic extension until Nov. 30
- New immigration law looks to attract investment