This is Suga’s first foreign visit since he assumed his post in September 16.
Prime Minister Suga's plane lands at Noi Bai International Airport at 5:50 pm on Sunday. Photo: VGP
“I would like to show a resolve to contribute to peace and prosperity in the region toward realizing a Free and Open Indo-Pacific,” Suga told reporters before leaving from Haneda Airport in Tokyo.
Minister-Chairman of the Government Office Mai Tien Dung welcomes Prime Minister Suga and his delegation to Viet Nam at the airport. Photo: VGP
The visit indicates Suga’s resolve to further deepen the extensive strategic partnership with Viet Nam across all fields, especially, economic, trade and investment areas, according to former Vietnamese Ambassador to Japan Nguyen Quoc Cuong at an inclusive interview with the Viet Nam Government Portal.
Both sides are expected to discuss ways to strengthen cooperation and coordination in response to the COVID-19 pandemic and to reboot their economies in post-Coronavirus period.
The official welcome ceremony is scheduled to take place on Monday morning at the Presidential Palace. Photo: VGP
The visit also demonstrates that the new Government of Japan continues attaching importance to the role of ASEAN and Viet Nam in its foreign policy, Cuong said.
As the current ASEAN 2020 Chair and non-permanent member of the United Nations Security Council, Viet Nam is an ideal destination for PM Suga to reiterate his policy toward the region.
- Japan announces Prime Minister Suga Yoshihide’s visit to Vietnam
- PM Phuc hosts welcome ceremony for Japanese Suga Yoshihide
- Vietnam looks forward to Japan PM Suga’s visit
- Japanese PM Suga arrives in Hanoi
- New Japanese PM Suga to visit Vietnam first: foreign ministry
- New Japanese PM Suga to arrive in Vietnam Sunday
- Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc welcomes Japanese counterpart Suga Yoshihide
- ASEAN, Japan enjoy “heart-to-heart relationship”, says PM Suga
- PM Phuc hosts official welcome ceremony for Japanese counterpart
- Japan PM Suga’s Vietnam visit to deepen Extensive Strategic Partnership: Spox