HCMC police and officers from the Ministry of Public Security have arrested 15 members of a drug trafficking ring following a massive crackdown.
The arrests on Friday came after over 100 police officers simultaneously raided dozens of places in HCMC’s Districts 1 Binh Thanh and Thu Duc and neighboring provinces of Binh Duong and Tay Ninh, seizing over 100 kg of synthetic drugs and more than 10 kg of heroin, a top police officer told
The drugs were smuggled in from Cambodia. Police are expanding their investigation.
HCMC has been a transit hub for drugs trafficked from the Golden Triangle, police have reported. From here, the drugs are taken to Taiwan, the Philippines, Malaysia, South Korea and even Europe, Australia and Latin America.
Vietnam has some of the world’s toughest drug laws. Those convicted of possessing or smuggling more than 600 g of heroin or over 2.5 kg of methamphetamine face death.
- Man caught with over 15 kg of drugs
- How a drug trafficking ring led by ex Korean cop busted in Vietnam?
- Police bust massive drug trafficking ring, seize 100 kilograms of drugs
- Dismantling of a drug trafficking network run by a foreigner
- Smuggler arrested for 250000 pill haul
- Heavy rains, strong winds batter central Vietnam due to storm Etau
- Lao health worker caught bringing drugs into Vietnam