ASEAN leaders will review activities since the previous summit, ASEAN’s cooperation in the first half of this year, and discuss operations in the second half regarding Political-Security, Economics, and Socio-Cultural Community. The summit will focus on dealing with the Covid-19 pandemic and ASEAN’s recovery.
Deputy Foreign Minister Nguyen Quoc Dung, Head of the ASEAN Senior Officials’ Meeting Vietnam (SOM), told a press briefing in Hanoi on Tuesday: “As Chair of ASEAN, Vietnam and other members have taken on tasks of fighting Covid-19 and building the ASEAN Community by implementing priorities and initiatives for 2020. Over the past 6 months, ASEAN has cooperated in the spirit of cohesive responsiveness to make it a global model in Covid-19 response.”
Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc will chair the opening ceremony, the plenary session, a special session on women’s empowerment in the digital age, as well as dialogues between ASEAN leaders and the ASEAN Inter-Parliamentary Assembly(AIPA), ASEAN youth representatives, and the ASEAN Business Advisory Council.
The ASEAN leaders are scheduled to issue Chairman Statement on the results of the 36th summit, a Vision on cohesive and responsive ASEAN, and ASEAN Statement on human resource development in a changing world.
- Vietnamese PM chairs 36th ASEAN Summit on June 26
- Prime Minister inspects preparations for 36th ASEAN Summit
- ASEAN to press on with set priorities despite COVID-19
- Public opinions on 36th ASEAN Summit
- 36th ASEAN Summit to be held online on June 26
- Vietnam prepares to launch 36th ASEAN Summit on June 26
- ASEAN Summit in Hanoi expected to boost intra-regional economic links
- 36th ASEAN Summit: Solidarity steers ASEAN out of challenges
- 37th ASEAN Summit: Strong commitment to building ASEAN Community
- ASEAN Summit adopts Vision Statement on a Cohesive and Responsive ASEAN