The information was given by Nguyen Thuy Phuong Hieu, Vice Director of the Dak Lak Department of Culture, Sports and Tourism at the seminar “Trade connection between Hanoi and Buon Ma Thuot to develop safe and attractive tourism between tourism businesses in the two localities” recently held in Dak Lak, translated from
The proposal for removing the
came after many accidents happened related to elephants during the past time. In May, a man was attacked by an elephant; two months later, a tourist fell and was injured while riding elephant.
Huynh Trung Luan, Director of Dak Lak Elephant Conservation Center said
“We will pilot new tourism services on four elephants and then mobilize the local people to join in”.
In 1980 – 1990 the number of elephants in Dak Lak was more than 500 now it reduces to 45 (mainly in Buon Don and Lak districts). The poisoned food sources, narrowed habitat and especially exploitation for tourism purposes are among reasons leading to a sharp decline in the population of elephants, Luan added.
In 2019 the Angkor Archaeological Park in Siem Reap put a ban on riding elephants. Two among fourteen elephants were released to the Bos Thom forest.
In 2016 an elephant named Sambo died at Angkor Wat due to carrying visitors amidst the scorching heat.
According to World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF), the number of elephants in Asia decreased by 50 percent in just three generations.
Bathing elephants in Chiang Mai, Thailand. Video by Phong Vinh/VNExpress
- Vietnam bans the famous elephant riding tours
- Central Highlands province mulls ban on elephant rides on safety, welfare concerns
- The owner is supported 400 million VND when the elephant gives birth
- Conquering mysterious Elephant Waterfall in Central Highlands
- Explore the wild and attractive Bu Dang Elephant waterfall in Binh Phuoc
- Yok Don National Park – the largest special-use forest in Vietnam
- Unique relics of Hue Monuments Complex to be restored
- Bao Dai Palace on Lak Lake
- Top 5 beautiful and unbelievably beautiful waterfalls you must visit in Da Lat