Authorities in Vietnam are planning to help guest workers whose contracts end to return home from overseas amid the Covid-19 pandemic.
Tong Hoai Nam, head of the Overseas Labour Management Department, said about 10000 Vietnamese guest workers were stuck overseas after their contracts end due to Covid-19. The department is compiling the list to submit to the National Steering Committee on Covid-19 Prevention for repatriation plans.
The plans are being calculated carefully and workers whose contracts end as well as those who are ill will be brought home.
However, not all 10000 workers want to return home right away. The Japanese government allows foreign workers to renew their visa for another year or switch to another job with special skills. Meanwhile, in South Korea, the local government also helps foreign workers whose contracts end to find seasonal jobs.
“We’re working with firms, Vietnamese embassies and labour management authorities in other countries to compile the list of workers who wish to return home to have a suitable plan,” Nam said.
They have proposed to transfer the workers to the quarantine facilities at military camps when they return to Vietnam. Workers who want to stay at hotels will have to pay the cost themselves and contact related parties for suitable arrangements.
Vietnam has arranged many flights to bring workers whose contracts end, are sick or tested positive to SARS-CoV-2 to Vietnam in the past months.
- South Korean company donates 10000 medical masks to Vietnamese workers
- Nearly 450 more Vietnamese citizens from RoK return home
- Over 250 Vietnamese citizens brought home on repatriation flight from RoK
- Over 350 Vietnamese people return home from Australia, New Zealand
- Hundreds of Vietnamese citizens return from the US and Brunei
- Over 250 Vietnamese citizens return home from RoK
- More than 350 Vietnamese citizens arrive home safely from Japan
- 225 Vietnamese citizens brought home from Japan
- More Vietnamese citizens fly home from Japan
- Over 350 Vietnamese citizens return from Canada and RoK