Two people were killed and many farming areas were damaged in heavy rains and flooding in Lao Cai Province on October 6.
Crops flooded in Lao Cai.
As of 7 pm on October 6 Lao Cai provincial authorities reported over VND3.2bn (USD137000) in damages.
Si Trung Kien, head of the Department of Agriculture and Rural Development said a child died in a flash flood in Ban Qua Commune and a woman in Ta Trang Village, Phin Ngan Commune died in a flash flood while going out to feed pigs. The local authorities have found the bodies and visited the victims’ families to offer condolences.
Statistics from Lao Cai Steering Committee for Natural Disaster Prevention and Search and Rescue show that 40 houses, mostly in Bat Xat, Bao Thang districts and Lao Cai City, were affected.
Over 22ha of rice and other crops were ruined. Dozens of fish farms were damaged and many roads connecting to other provinces and districts are in need of repair. Tan Loi Street in Bao Thang District has five metres of road destroyed. Up to 500 metres of roads from Nam Tra to Nam Phang village were damaged, isolating 265 households.
Heavy rains also caused a landslide at the primary and nursery schools in Ban Qua Commune. The authorities are cleaning up the schools.
- Heavy rains cause damages in Lao Cai Province
- 55 dead and 7 missing in severe flooding
- PM allocates rice to flood victims in central region
- Heavy rains cause heavy damage to Lào Cai and Dak Nông
- Prime Minister urges for prompt flood recovery efforts in Ha Giang
- Heavy rain, flash floods ravage mountain province
- Ca Mau restricts leisure activities to focus on natural disaster prevention
- Flash floods leave eight dead and missing, seven injured in Northern region
- The authorities mobilized to come to the aid of the victims of the floods