Acting Minister of Health Nguyen Thanh Long
Long made the announcement on September 30 in Ha Noi at a workshop on COVID-19 vaccines which was jointly hosted by the Ministry of Health, PATH, the Seattle-based non-profit global health organization, the British Embassy in Ha Noi.
According to the World Health Organization, as of September 24187 COVID-19 vaccines are in development across the world of which 38 are undergoing clinical trials, while 149 others are in pre-clinical research.
Mr. Long revealed that Viet Nam is one of 92 countries participating in the COVAX Facility – a Gavi-coordinated pooled procurement mechanism for new COVID-19 vaccines – and is committed to support from Gavi COVAX AMC.
With the goal of supplying 2 billion doses of a vaccine to countries by the end of 2021 accounting for about 20% of the population of the member countries of the COVAX Facility, Viet Nam will have the opportunity to access and be provided vaccines from the catalogue of COVAX AMC, said the Acting Minister.
The Vietnamese Ministry of Health has directed domestic manufacturers to increase vaccine research and production activities. The four leading Vietnamese manufacturers are concentrating their resources and efforts on this work, with an aim of having at least one manufacturer capable of conducting clinical trials in the second and third phase in 2021. So far, Vietnamese COVID-19 vaccine candidates are currently tested on mice.
Besides the two possible supplies of vaccines (COVAX Facility) and the above-mentioned domestically produced vaccine source, Viet Nam has also actively looking for other sources of vaccines through direct contact with manufacturers abroad. Previously, Viet Nam ordered to purchase COVID-19 vaccine from Russia, the U.S. and UK.
In parallel with the search for vaccine supply, the ministry has also prepared legal bases to promote testing procedures and circulation registration for possible COVID 19 vaccines, Mr. Long said.
So far, Viet Nam has confirmed 1095 cases of COVID-19 and 35 deaths. There has been no local transmission in nearly a month.
- Phase 3 clinical trial of Vietnamese-made vaccine to be conducted in 2021
- Australia to support COVID-19 vaccine access for Pacific and Southeast Asian countries
- Vietnam accelerates research and production of possible COVID-19 vaccine
- Vietnam included in Australia’s US$58 million support for Covid-19 vaccine access
- Australia earmarks $57 mln to give neighboring nations access to Covid-19 vaccines
- COVID-19: Vietnam will carry out human tests in 2021
- Human trials of made-in-Vietnam Covid-19 vaccine to begin this week
- Vietnam to start human trials of Covid-19 vaccine on December 10
- Vietnam plans Covid-19 vaccine human testing this year